.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

George Bass :: essays research papers

As I walked to the Daly Science Center from Benson narration with a stomach full of ridiculously expensive cheap food, I expected the lecture of Dr. rich to be more or less(prenominal) of a rehashing of what he spoke to our class about earlier in the day, albeit with a few more and older people watching. My first-year affect came as I opened the door of lecture hall 206 and dictum all the students sitting on the stairs. I myself was relegated to sitting at the really top of the stairs, near the door, with other students sitting on nearly every(prenominal) stair all the way down. As soon as I sat down I was immediately drawn into the lecture by Dr. Basss immense passion and visible love for his report of work. My second surprise came as I listened to his tales of various escapades and adventures along the Turkish coast. The most impressive part of his lecture was his comfort in non only lecturing on the intellectual context of his work, but likewise his willingness to share his personal experiences with a large group of strangers. The longer I listened to Dr. Bass speak the more honored I felt to be in the presence of a true legend of archaeology. At first I did not understand why he included the slide and story about the border where him and his wife spent their honeymoon forty years ago. However, towards the end of the lecture when he brought us back to that akin beach, I was amazed that it has come to be known as the beach where the Americans were. You notice I say brought us because that is scarcely what Dr. Bass did Monday evening. He brought us as an audience with him on his trips to the dependable East and down to the sea floor to look for amphoras and scarabaeuss in shipwrecks, which in the first place his work nobody knew existed. When he showed the slide of Queen Nefertitis scarab I though no other find he has do could top it. However, upon further reflection I believe his discovery of the oldest record, and glass were more historical ly significant items. In my humble opinion, Dr. Basss most extraordinary finding was his work outside of the engross sites. His theories regarding contact and trade between Egypt and the Near East, Greece, and the Middle East in the Bronze Age have gone from mere speculation to widely accepted academic fact as a direct way out of his research and writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment